I was recently sent a review copy of Simple Food for Busy Families: The Whole Life Nutrition Approach and was a little surprised when I got it in the mail. It wasn't a cookbook, like I was expecting, but something even better. It's really a lifestyle book, and it walks you through a switch from over-processed, packaged foods to a wholer, more nutritious way of eating.
The book is broken up into two main sections: 1) Whole Life Nutrition and 2) Everyday Cooking: Keeping it Real. I was completely drawn to the second section because it applied all the information to my everyday real life. There are recipes (like the below hummus recipe) but there are "mix-and-match" sections where you can build your own sandwiches, salads, smoothies, soups, pastas, and more by adding easy-to-find ingredients with a simple process.
Here's a snapshot of the sandwich portion:
You choose your "wrapper," your protein, your filling, and your condiment. Where lunch and grab-and-go meals are overwhelming to someone like me, this completely breaks it down. What do I have on hand that's on this mix-and-match menu? Combine those things and voila, delicious sandwich!
It simplifies eating, which isn't what everyone needs, but it's what I need. I really love this book.
Here's the hummus recipe I mentioned earlier:
Basic Hummus Recipe
1/4 C seasme tahini
1/4 C cold water
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 t ground cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 (15-oz) can, rinsed and drained, or 2 C pre-cooked garbanazo beans
1 T olive oil
1. In a blender or food processor, blend together tahini, cold water, lemon juice, cumin, and garlic. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Puree the garbanzo beans and process until smooth, adding a little cooking liquid or water, if too thick.
3. Add the tahini mixture and process until mixed.
4. Put in serving bowl, add olive oil, and mix.
We're giving away one copy of Simple Food for Busy Families: The Whole Life Nutrition Approach to a Food Lush reader! Fine print section:
- How to enter: Comment with your last healthy meal or your favorite healthy meal
- Who can enter: Anyone in the U.S.
- Giveaway is open until: 11/9 at 11:59 PM EST
- Misc: one comment per person, winner will be selected via random.org, must be willing to provide your mailing address, and winner will be announed by 11/16.
Editor's note: I was given a copy of Simple Food for Busy Families without obligation of review or giveaway. All opinions expressed above are, of course, my own.