When I wrote about Slater's 50/50, Christy asked in the comments what food apps I use. I thought I'd round-up some here and then open the comments to your favorite food apps. My travel folder on my iPhone is always looking for new additions.
Delicious burger from Slater's 50/50, featured on the Food Network (photo by me)
1. TVFoodMaps. It may be a little cliche to try out restaurants featured on food shows but I continue to seek these places out because they are so often REALLY GOOD. Some of my favorite eats on all my past trips (and even in my own backyard) are from Food Network or Travel Channel shows. This app includes a slew of TV shows, too, not just the most well-known. You can search by proximity to your current location, by show, or by keyword (I NEED A BURGER NOW, etc.).
2. Yelp! This is one of my favorite restaurant websites, so it's no surprise the app has produced some real winners. I usually scan quickly--in the car, etc.--for dollar signs in our price range, many good reviews, and operating hours that work for our plans. (Never fun to show up somewhere excited about the "can't miss" special and realize the place is closed!)
3. Diners TV. This is just an app for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and you can search by season or location. I've used this a couple times when I'm looking for something D, D, and D specific.
4. Food Network On the Road. I just downloaded this and I really like the interface. You can build your own road trip, search by show or city, and it seems well organized. I haven't gotten to play around much but I have a few upcoming trips I may test this out on.
5. iExit Food. What I like most about this is that sometimes you don't want an off-the-beaten-path local joint. Sometimes you want Subway or McDonald's or some place easy, familiar, and CLOSE. This app lets you search nearby for fast food. Hey, I'm all for ditching the Wendy's for a custom burger joint when I'm on vacation but I'm also for preserving my sanity and that sometimes includes a Frosty, am I right?
6. Google Maps. When I'm really desperate, and short on time, I just bust open Google Maps, search for the nearest WHATEVER and then breathe a sign of relief.
I'd love to add the Zagat app to my list, but it's $9.99. Does anyone have it? Worth it? Other than that, what are YOUR favorite food/travel apps? My finger is just hanging out over the app store icon!