by Jen L.
Being southern, I adore potlucks, partially because they typically feature at least 6 different types of dip. My favorite dip offering for the potluck table is Southern Caviar, a southerner's take on salsa. You can make it as spicy or mild as you want and tailor it to your own preferences. Hate black eyed peas? Use black beans instead! One thing I've learned by making what seems like a million batches of this stuff is to use fat free Italian dressing or the Wishbone "Just 2 Good" dressing which has only 2 grams of fat. Those dressings tend to have more chunks in them, which adds to the yum factor of this recipe. I prefer mine with tortilla chips (especially the blue ones), but it's also tasty atop crostini or crackers. Give it a try at your next potluck.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (recommended: Ro-Tel)
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle Italian dressing
- 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
Image credit: Food.com